DesignedbyLara.com

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

2013 Lesbian Fiction Appreciation Event: Louisa Bacio on The Love of a Woman


Soft curves, voluptuous breasts, giving of life. It's easy to get lost in description, and paint the picture of such lovely creatures. Often I'm asked how I can write lesbian erotic fiction as a straight woman. For me, it's so very easy to appreciate a beautiful woman, and I understand that struggle for sexual identity.


My public, published, love affair with women began with a little anthology called I Kissed a Girl, which included "Two's Company." I then moved on to a full-length erotic romance, Sex University: All-Girls Academy. My editor Lori Perkins pushed the content. How many writers do you think are told to include a strap-on scene? So I did, and girl … was it sexy. Before that, though, I read F/F and M/M in little, hidden paperbacks I found in the erotic or GLBT section of bookstores.

In the past, I've written about the concept of "sexual fluidity." Some people don't acknowledge the category of "bisexual." How can one person be attracted to both men, and women? Instead, they must be confused. Sexual fluidity, instead, looks at falling in love with the person, not the gender.

My writing comes from that point of view. I write the character's story. They tell me who they're meant to be with – man or woman. Developing story ideas with lesbian fiction often works the same way for me, as any story. Last year, at a conference I shared a room with one of my best friends from college, and I jotted down notes about two women who are "straight" and married with children, who regularly vacation together, and explore this other side of their personality. No one thinks anything of it.

Is that story based upon reality? No. We're definitely not having a steamy, hidden love affair. Is it a fantasy? I'd say no also. But, did it spark some sort of wild tangent imagination? Most definitely. (As for the fantasy, I'd be hunting down the likes of Deanna Wadsworth – you should see that crazy-woman on the dance floor! Oh, baby.)

My upcoming book Mirabella's Mardi Gras Ménage, releasing mid-February, is a F/F/M threesome, which is more rare. Traditionally, readers will see a M/F/M. When I originally pitched the story, I didn't quite have an idea of the potential love interests of Mirabella, the heroine. However, as the story progressed, and she spoke to me, it became clear, and I followed her direction. Here's an unedited glimpse of their first interaction. 

"A young, sultry-looking woman stood behind the counter. She eyed Marguerite with a self-confidence that made her even sexier. The mixture of her fine cheekbones and lighter skin spoke of her mixed heritage often found in these parts. As their eyes met, a sense of destiny threaded its way through Marguerite’s consciousness. Silly for her to think something like that. When’s the last time she’d been with a woman? It had been years, and she was here to talk about a relationship with a man. She didn’t need to confuse the issue by being attracted to this woman." (Mirabella's Mardi Gras Ménage – F/F/M)

Thank you so very much for hosting me today, KT! I adore your Lesbian Fiction Appreciation Event!

Louisa Bacio



7 comments:

Louisa Bacio said...

Very glad you give voice to the varied voices! Grazie.

Adriana said...

Well said, Louisa, and I really love the excerpt. I, too, have come to appreciate the term "sexually fluid." It opens doors - the opposite of restrictive.

Cathy in AK said...

Great post, Louisa! Was nodding and "Yep!"-ping all the way through : )

Louisa Bacio said...

Thank you Adriana! It was a fun one to read.

And Cathy -- I *mostly* like agreement.

Hey KT -- Notice how we share a similar kissing women on our covers?

KB/KT Grant said...

We are? Which cover? I should show you the cover for my next book- a lesbian paranormal. It's the hottest cover ever made for me.

She said...

Enjoyed your short excerpt. Now I want more. I've enjoyed the few f/f/m menages I've read. And there are very few out there.

Jolie du Pre said...

You can be a straight woman who writes F/F because you have an interest in F/F.~~ You don't have to be a lesbian to write F/F and to write it well. Good luck with your books!