DesignedbyLara.com

Sunday, January 20, 2013

2013 Lesbian Fiction Appreciation Event: Lesbians in Fiction…or Lesbian Fiction by Kate Richards


Officially the Lesbian Fiction Appreciation Event ended yesterday but since there’s been such a big interest, why not have one most post from my awesome editor and fellow author, Kate Richards?


You’ll never sell any books…nobody wants to read about two women together…really? When I wrote The Vampire’s Bard a couple of years ago, I was so excited to find out that was not the case. While it didn’t sell thousands, it did outsell anything else I had at the time and I was so pleased. But it wasn’t always easy to find realistic and fully developed lesbian characters in  popular fiction

The first lesbian relationships I recall in books were in Marion Zimmer Bradley’s Darkover series. While she did not go into any kind of sexual detail, I have since learned she wrote much more graphic works under several pseudonyms which I plan to track down if possible. In the case of Darkover, her lesbian characters have to live outside of  “normal” society. Because they have essentially chosen to reject the protection of men in their culture…certainly food for thought.

I’ve always loved stories of women who are empowered. Who do not race through the woods in high heels and then fall to the ground and cry out in shock, waiting for the monster to come and get them. Margaret Atwood’s characters are an excellent example. In The Handmaid’s Tale…Moira, the main character’s friend and former lesbian (former?) was a heartbreaking figure in the story, sentenced to prostitution for her refusal to be a brood mare to the  dystopian Republic of Gilead’s powerful male rulers.

Now, women who love other women are to be found by the thousands in popular reading material. It’s not just finding a lesbian in a story, there are whole stories where the characters happen to love other women. And I love that. The Vampire’s Bard is about a vampire who lives for centuries waiting in the hope that a prophesy will come true and her murdered lover will reincarnate, so they can be together again. Love is like that. Patient, kind and every other good thing. No matter who is doing it or what sex that other person is. Love. Sex. Romance. I’m so happy to be living in a time when we can write what we like and read what we like and maybe…because I’m an optimist, love who we like without judgment. No matter what race or sex someone chooses to share their heart with.

So…after all that serious stuff, here is a link to a crazy sexy music video. Enjoy!

Courtesy of SheWired: Tonight by Anastasia Luna. And maybe all the somersaults aren’t necessary…but the’re pretty darn sensual!

7 comments:

Kate Richards said...

Thanks for having me! I'd love to hear about other books readers found their first realistic lesbian characters in.

Jessica Subject said...

I think it's wonderful that the romance of today covers all kinds of positive loving relationships. Because to me, that's all that matters.

Kate Richards said...

I agree. That's why I like writing m/f and m/f/m and f/f and f/m/f and any other combination of people who love one another!

She said...

Thanks for sharing. As a reader I like reading romance. I want to escape from daily life and get that happy ever after. I don't care who's loving whom. Give me a good story. All matings are fine. I'm glad now that there is more f/f available.

Kate Richards said...

Love that She. I am too!

Jolie du Pre said...

Thanks for this fun post!

Kate Richards said...

thank you for coming by to visit!