DesignedbyLara.com

Friday, December 28, 2012

Katiebabs' Official Best Books of 2012

I’ve read 238 books in 2012, way up from the last few years. In part I was reading more self-published and epublished books that tend to be shorter than most traditionally published full length books. For the first time ever in a month (which is December), I've only read self-published and indie books (epublished) books. My top 20 has many familiar author faces I adore, along with a few debut authors. Also since I’ve been tracking my favorite reads for the year, I have a 3 way tie for favorite book for the first time ever, all by the same author. Also, these three books are not considered “romance” per say, but more a mash-up of Gothic, Mystery, Thriller and Eroticism. I have a self-published author in my top 5 (who went on to sell one of the most popular self-published books of the year to a traditional/NYC publisher). The most talked about book of 2012 that had people gasping in OMGWTF? is also in my top 5.

My top 20 is a wide variety of genres ranging from contemporary and historical romance to GLBT romance and thrillers and mysteries. Without further ado, I give you my top book picks for 2012:

Overall Favorite Read: The Siren, The Angel, The Prince by Tiffany Reisz (3 way tie)
Honorary Mention: Easy by Tammara Webber

Favorite Contemporary: Easy by Tammara Webber
Honorary Mention: On the Island by Tracey Garvis

Favorite Historical:
A Private Gentleman by Heidi Cullinan
Honorary Mention:
The Importance of Being Wicked by Miranda Neville

Favorite Paranormal:
Lothaire by Kresley Cole
Honorary Mention: Wicked Nights by Gena Showalter

Favorite Urban Fantasy: Chasing Magic by Stacia Kane
Honorary Mention: By a Thread by Jennifer Estep

Favorite Young Adult: Edenbrooke by
Julianna Donaldson
Honorary Mention: Poison Princess by Kresley Cole

Favorite GLBT Book: A Private Gentleman by Heidi Cullinan
Honorary Mention:
My Regelence Rake by JL Langley

Favorite Debut Author: Tiffany Reisz
Honorary Mention:
Delilah Dawson

Favorite Hero:
Lucas Maxfield from Easy
Honorary Mention:  
David Kentewess from Riveted

Favorite Heroine: Nora Sutherlin from The Siren
Honorary Mention: Annika Fridasdotter from Riveted

Favorite Sex Scene: Couch loving between Chess and Terrible in Chasing Magic

Honorary Mention: Pretty taboo sex scene: Soren and Nora bloodplay in The Angel   




The Top 20: 

1. The Siren by Tiffany Reisz 
2.  The Angel by Tiffany Reisz 
3. The Prince by Tiffany Reisz 
4. Easy by Tammara Webber 
5. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn 
6. Chasing Magic by Stacia Kane 
7. Riveted by Meljean Brook 
8. A Private Gentleman by Heidi Cullinan 
9. Lothaire by Kresley Cole 
10. Indulgent Pleasures by Karen Erickson 
11. The Importance of Being Wicked by Miranda Neville 
12. Me Before You by JoJo Moyes 
13. Wicked as They Come by Delilah Dawson 
14. On the Island by Tracey Garvis 
15. Thief of Shadows by Elizabeth Hoyt 
16. Edenbrooke by Julianna Donaldson 
17. Wicked Nights by Gena Showalter 
18. My Regelence Rake by JL Langley 
19. Shadow’s Claim by Kresley Cole 
20. Lord John and the Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon

and a spare... Rogue Rider by Larissa Ione 


There’s always one special book and author I like to highlight that had a profound effect on me as a reader. 2012 will be the year when the New Adult genre exploded. There’s one book that’s the catalyst for this genre and what all New Adult books should aspire to be. That book is Easy by Tammara Webber. Not only was Easy one of the most successful self-published novels in 2012, but started a craze that readers, writers and the publishing industry can’t get enough of. Easy was an emotional, eye opening experience because everything that occurs in Easy is so on point from the reactions and emotions showed on these pages. This is a book that screams girl power and female empowerment which is shown amazingly well because of the heroine, Jackie and her girl friends, including those sorority sisters she interacts with. Lucas, who becomes Jackie’s love interest, is what writers and readers should want in any romantic hero. How I wish more Young Adult and New Adult authors would write Lucas type love interests instead of these damaged, psychotic love interests that destroy the heroine’s self esteem and sucks their personality out of them. If there is one book female readers, especially teens should read, it should be Easy. Tammara, take a bow because you're an amazing author who has written a book that will stand the test of time for years to come.  

Goodbye 2012 and hello to 2013! I can't wait to see what the publishing industry from the self-pubbers, the indie authors and the traditional authors have in store for us.

Katiebabs

4 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

And I haven't read a single one of these book :/

Julie@My5monkeys said...

I agree Easy was amazing good and Lucas :0)

KB/KT Grant said...

Blofeuedd: Pick one of my top 20 books and read! Now!

Julie: I adore Easy. Every single New Adult book written after Easy pales on comparison.

BookaholicCat said...

Great list! I haven't read Easy but I'm adding it to my TBR.