DesignedbyLara.com

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Guest Author Post: Terri Herman-Ponce: In This Life

I didn’t intend to write romance.

In fact, I don’t really consider myself a romance writer. I’m more a paranormal suspense kind of girl, with romance on the side.

See, about sixteen years ago I started writing Star Trek fan fiction. I know, I’ve been told that’s kind of geeky in a cool way, but there were two things that always fascinated me about fiction and that drove me to write the books I do: edge-of-your-seat stories and couples trying to stay together.

Romance, or at least the romance I’ve read, is usually about couples getting together. You know, the push-pull dynamics and mutual attraction and all the stuff that gets in the way of a couple meeting and trying to obtain their happily ever after. I, on the other hand, am fascinated (addicted?) to the concept of couples that are already together and trying to find a way to stay that way.

I also have an incredible fascination for ancient Egypt, past lives and what-ifs.

And it’s these things that led me to write In This Life. This is a story that’s been years in the making, revision after revision, and that lets me play around with the concept of second chances. What if you made mistakes in another life and had the chance to come back and fix them? What if you met the love of your life, your soul mate, in another life and damaged that relationship with a mistake you wished you’d never made? And, what if you met that person again, now? Better yet, what if you were already in a relationship with that person, discovered you’d done wrong against them in a previous incarnation, and discovered you could very well make the same mistake again? But if you didn’t fix it, you stood to lose them forever. Again?

That’s my romance playground for couples, specifically my couple David and Lottie, and it’s where I put them through all kinds of challenges. Temptation, jealousy, ex-lovers, you name it, I test the strength of my characters to see just what their love is made of.

It’s that kind of happily ever after that I find the most fulfilling because, for me, it’s even sweeter. What better way to appreciate the love of your life than to face losing them and be forced into fighting for the very thing you believe in the most: love.


Synopsis: Psychologist Lottie Morgan knows something is wrong when she starts reliving memories of a lover she’s never had. At first, she attributes them to fever-induced dreams. But when the fever disappears and the visions don’t, Lottie thinks she may need therapy of her own.

Then she meets Galen. Their first encounter is as intense as it is eye-opening, and Lottie is unprepared for the fire Galen arouses in her. His revelation that they shared a passionate relationship thousands of years ago explains the memories and entices Lottie into wanting to learn more about her past. Her decision, however, comes at a price. Galen may hold the answers but he could destroy the devoted, lifelong relationship Lottie has with her current lover, David.

As parallels between both of her lives emerge and the memories escalate, Lottie becomes caught between two lifetimes, two men and long-buried deceptions that present an opportunity to right previous wrongs. Unless Lottie repeats her past mistakes.

 
Bio:
Terri Herman-PoncĂ© is a communications manager by day and a storyteller by night. Born on Long Island, New York, she absolutely adores red wine, the beach, Ancient Egypt, sunrises and the New York Yankees—though not necessarily in that order. The youngest of five children, Terri lives with her husband and son on Long Island. In her next life, if she hasn’t moved on to somewhere else, Terri wants to be an astronomer. She’s fascinated with the night skies almost as much as she’s fascinated with Ancient Egypt. 

Terri is a member of Sisters in Crime, Romance Writers of America and Mystery Writers of America. 

Links:
Twitter: @TerriPonce
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Terri.Ponce.Author
Website: http://terriponce.com
 

5 comments:

terriponce said...

Thanks SO much for having me here today. I appreciate the face time more than you realize!

Kwana said...

I'm such a Star Trek fan. I can't wait to read In This Life Terri. Best of Luck!

terriponce.com said...

Thanks, Kwana, and I hear you about Star Trek. Great memories and great times!

Suzi said...

Terri,
Well done on your writing change and your new book.
Sounds great,
Suzi Love

terriponce.com said...

Well, thank you for the kind words. Funny how writing can take you in different directions, and mine sure did!