DesignedbyLara.com

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

2012 Lesbian Fiction Appreciation Event: Lucy Felthouse: My Take on Lesbian Fiction


When I first heard from KT about her post on lesbian fiction, in which I get a mention, I was very interested, even more so when she went on to tell me about The Lesbian Fiction Appreciation Event. In short, the gist is that some people mistakenly believe that lesbian fiction doesn’t sell, and in my experience, it does. My lesbian erotic romance short story, Bite with Height, is consistently one of my best-sellers (which bodes very well for the sequel I'm writing), and my other hot lesbian tale, Weekend at Wilderhope Manor does well for me too. The Ravenous Romance anthologies I Kissed A Girl and I Kissed A Girl II, both of which contain my stories also sell phenomenally well.


Regardless of that fact, lesbian fiction doesn't seem to get the recognition it deserves. There are more gay fiction review sites out there than lesbian ones, and I've come across more than one reviewer who has never covered a lesbian title before. I can hazard a guess at why – straight women don't want to read about two girls, but they're happy to read about two hot guys together. I'm not saying that's right or wrong – everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I guess I'm pretty unique in that I'll read any couplings within erotica and erotic romance, as long as the storyline appeals to me. Perhaps a way to break reviewers in more gently is to have a guy involved – my recently released f/f/m short story, A Menu with a Difference is selling well and garnering fab reviews:

“Wow, Just wow! It may have only contained 13 pages but it is by far one of my favourite stories ever! It will definitely be on my menu now! A Menu with a Difference was my first lesbian and threesome read and I have to say Lucy has made me want to dive in for more with her well detailed and described characters and plot you won’t be able to help wanting more!” A Redheads Guilty Reads

I really hope that lesbian fiction continues to do well, and gains more recognition and acceptance, because I really enjoy writing it. I actually got into writing f/f quite by mistake – I think it was the Ravenous Romance call for submissions for I Kissed A Girl that got me started. After that, I realised I liked to write within the genre, and have answered a couple more calls for submissions for other lesbian erotica titles (I Kissed A Girl II and Weekend at Wilderhope Manor), as well as writing Bite with Height just because I wanted to.

Unless I'm writing to specific guidelines, I don't think too much about which genre I'm writing in now. If I have a story idea that I'm excited about, the characters usually develop as I'm writing, so I don't mind whether it's two girls, two guys, a hetero couple... I just write what comes naturally as I tend to find my stories work out better that way. Having said that, I'm incredibly excited to start working on my sequel to Bite with Height this year – my sexy lesbian chicks are ready for another adventure!


Thanks so much for stopping by – as a token of my appreciation I'm running a giveaway as part of this event. Just leave a comment on this post containing your email address and I'll pick ONE lucky winner to receive PDF copies of Bite with Height and Weekend at Wilderhope Manor. I'll choose the winner in three days' time. Good Luck!

*****
Lucy is a graduate of the University of Derby, where she studied Creative Writing. During her first year, she was dared to write an erotic story - so she did. It went down a storm and she's never looked back. Lucy has had stories published by Cleis Press, Constable and Robinson, House of Erotica, Noble Romance, Ravenous Romance, Summerhouse Publishing, Sweetmeats Press and Xcite Books. She is also the editor of Uniform Behaviour and Seducing the Myth. Find out more at http://www.lucyfelthouse.co.uk. You can also find her on Facebook and Twitter.

7 comments:

Cathy in AK said...

Congrats on your success, Lucy! These sound like some super hot reads : )Yum!

Kate Richards said...

Hi Lucy! I am having a great time reading everyone's take on this genre. I agree, which genre matters less as the characters take on their own lives, and I am delighted that it's not only romance and sex that we're seeing in lesbian fiction. So many possibilities!

R. Renee Vickers said...

Great article Lucy! Love is love is love is love, right?! Here's to wishing you lots and lots of sales and story ideas!

museampoule-at-Gmail-dot-com

Jessica Subject said...

I think it's amazing how characters determine what the story will be about. They do take on lives of their own. I honestly had never read lesbian or gay fiction before last year, but I'm glad I have. I would have missed out on some great love stories otherwise. :)

All the best!

She said...

I'm with you. I'll read any coupling as long as the story appeals to me. I love the cover for Weekend at Wilderhope. Great cover also for Bite with Height.

smg5775@yahoo.com

Lucy Felthouse said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I used Random.org to choose a winner. Congrats go to... She!

I'm sending you an email now with your prizes.

Thanks so much for entering!

She said...

Thank you. I'm looking forward to reading them.