DesignedbyLara.com

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My Adventures at New York Comic Con 2011: Saturday

Me and Mho posing for a picture. Don't we look dashing?



My 2011 NY Comic Con adventures started on Saturday at noon. Originally I had planned on going Friday night, but I'm a working girl and was up since 5am, I decided to skip Friday and stick to Saturday. Like the past few years, Comic Con is held at the Javits Center. As you walk down 34th street to get there, you start seeing banners like the ones above.


...and people walking in their costumes. So if you see people dressed in some wacky and interesting costumes, you know you're headed in the right direction.

Javits Center

This is the first time since Comic Con has been in NYC (Or I heard of) where it was sold out. 100,000 people came on this day. It was beyond crowed and if you wanted to get into any screenings or panels, you have to wait up to an hour in some long lines. If you don't like big crowds, Comic Con is not for you.

This is me in my "Steampunk" look with my hat and my vest. And if you look closely, I brought my well known buddy, Mho Fho!

My first stop was checking out the publishers' booths. Not many were giving out free books. Some of the signings you had to pay for the books, but still there were some signings that were free...

The first author I saw and chatted with was Kristen Painter (in her full vampire costume). She was signing Blood Rights (House of Comarré #1). She also told me she will be writing a fourth book in this series. Flesh and Blood (#2) and Bad Blood come out 10/12 and 12/1.


Hachette also showed off their not yet released Twilight graphic novel you could try and win:. Oh sparkly Eddie *swoon*

Tor Books
Del Ray. There were many George R.R. Martin books up for grabs

 Simon and Schuster. The publicist, Renee who was at the table mentioned a very interesting book that will be out on January 31st called An Affair with Mr. Kennedy by Jillian Stone. This is a romance.


Here's the synopsis: Detective Zeno “Zak” Kennedy is considered a hero in London after breaking up a plot against the Crown. But villainy never sleeps, and he’s now after a ring of Irish anarchists plotting a bombing campaign. When he discovers that one of these treacherous lords is acquainted with his new tenant, widowed Cassie St. Cloud, he sets out to get closer to the lady. Cassie is no Victorian prude; the daughter of two prominent doctors, she is a freethinking artist and a volunteer at a girls’ school. She’s set her sights on her handsome new landlord, and soon they’re enmeshed in the most passionate affair of her life. But when she discovers that their meeting was not purely accidental, will she be able to forgive him?

Harlequin by far was very disappointing. The two women  there didn't work for either Harlequin of Carina Press. The woman on the Harlequin side was a bookseller who looked bored and had no idea about any of the books. And when someone went to buy a book, she was somewhat rude. The woman for Carina was friendly and I must say the Carina table was well done with their promo. But overall, Harlequin was underwhelming and  out of the way of from all the other publishers. I guess they like to have more recognition at BEA than at Comic Con.

But the did have a nice poster of the popular YA Steampunk book by Kady Cross:


Along my travels I saw some very unique things...

Mega Blok Spiderman. Sorry to say this time around I didn't molest him.

Bumblebee from Transformers
Superman and Robin

Game of Thrones: Drago, Daenerys and I really have no idea who the woman is dressed in red. Anyone know?

The candy Nerds had a big booth with an adorable plush nerd doll. They're also going to start selling big boxes of candy like Nerds, SweeTarts, Gobstoppers and other sugar yumminess!

 Should be no surprise that I took a picture of the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern action figure

Also the very OMGWTF strange:

Pedobear. Check out Wikipedia on why this bear has the reputation it does.

I don't think I have to explain what these two are.

 There's even WTFckery covers around!


The one signing I made sure to go to was at the HarperCollins booth where Jeaniene Frost was signing The Bite Before Christmas (Argeneau #15.5) that will be out on October 25th. You had to buy the book in order for Jeaniene to sign it.

Marnie from Absorbed in a Book and Jeaniene

There were many familiar faces such as Marnie, her sister Megan, Stacey Agdern and Grace from Livre De Amour. 

I was also very happy to finally have met a new blogger called The Obscured Vixen. We ended up talking about all types of books and had a great conversation until I spied a very important character I had to take a picture with for my two other Gumby Fetish ladies- Carolyn Crane and Wicked Little Pixie:

Don't we make a beautiful couple?

After a good 7 hours of walking around the center, I went home to catch my beauty rest because I planned to be at the center bright an early for the Conan the Barbarian movie panel where my goal was to not only talk to Jason Momoa, but touch a part of him...
The Jason Momoa after his panel

My next report will be all about the Conan panel on Sunday morning with Stephen Lang, Rose McGowen and Jason Momoa, where I sat in the second row, was a foot away from the three panelist, took about 40 pictures and was called a beautiful lady by Mr. "Moobs" Momoa himself.

Was I lucky enough to touch the moobs? Stay tuned to see...

Katiebabs

8 comments:

paper writing service said...

This is really interesting thing good post. Thanks you for your work!)

kara-karina@Nocturnal Book Reviews said...

Hot damn, that was so interesting! I even added 2 new books to my TBR - Jillian Stone and Firelight (which I spotted on one of the posters). I do hope you touched the moobs :)

Lenore Appelhans said...

I think the lady in red might be the Stark daughter that's supposed to marry Joffrey? But what do I know? ;)

Penelope said...

Great photos! What a fun day....you and Gumby make a very nice couple. :^)

Kim in Hawaii said...

Fabulous recap! Did you speak Hawaiian to Jason?!?

Blodeuedd said...

Now what is pedobear doing there

Kristen said...

Looks like so much fun!

The woman in red is a character that hasn't been seen in the TV series yet since she doesn't show up until season 2 (or book 2 if reading the books). Her name is Melisandre.

KB/KT Grant said...

Paper: Thanks!

Kara: Ah the moobs! :). There were many lovely books to look at. If you need any other book recs, you know where to find me.

Lenore: You could be right!

Penny: Gumby and I are now having a mad affair. Shhh don't tell anyone.

Kim: He didn't say anything in Hawaiian :( But maybe he said something in another language *wink*

Blodeuedd: Pedobear was walking by mind his own business...

Kristen: I can't wait for March when Game of Thrones comes back!