DesignedbyLara.com

Monday, April 4, 2011

My Scholarship for the 2011 Book Blogger Conference


I was once told that no one cared to hear my opinion on things and it was better if I remained silent. This stayed with me for a long time, where I began to believe my voice and opinion didn’t matter. For years, I wouldn’t speak my mind  on anything. Essentially I became a shell of a person that lasted well into my adulthood.

Then something great happened. I found my voice again because of My Space. Back when I decided to join My Space, and created my page, I started to document my thoughts or blog them there. I knew not many would read my posts, or even care, but it enabled me to gain the confidence to speak my mind without the fear of being put down or ridiculed. From that, a few close friends recommended I start blogging because they felt others would be interested in what I had to say. I was surprised by this because I really didn’t think anyone would care either way.

My lurking days were soon over and I began to leave comments on blogs, where people listened to my opinions. It was very empowering. I was then given the opportunity to blog elsewhere, until I decided to branch out on my own and start my own blog. Now three years later and after reaching close to 1 million people around the world, I’m proud to say I have a voice that refuses to be silent. From starting my own blog, I gained my confidence back, found a supportive community, new friends and a way to accomplish my dream of becoming a published author.

I would like to give something back in return. I came to this decision based on two events that occurred  that really made an impression on me. A few days ago I received an email from a young woman who wanted to attend BEA (Book Expo America) and BBC (Book Blogger Con), but was afraid she didn’t have the right to go because she was just starting her own blog. She felt she didn’t belong and was fearful of rejection. Her words spoke to me on such a deep level because once upon a time I felt like that, where I believed I didn’t belong. I told her to get those thoughts out of her mind, that she would be more than welcome even if I had to take her by the hand and introduce her to the group of bloggers that would be there.



The other event is in regards to Lenore, who runs the Presenting Lenore blog. Not only did she announce her amazing book deal, but she has decided to sponsor A Book Blogger Conference Scholarship where not only will she pay for the $120 admission to BEA and BBC on the Friday, but $500 toward expenses, as well.

Based on Lenore’s generosity, I’ve decided to do the same. I will pay for one lucky person’s admittance into BEA and Book Blogger Con on Friday May 27th. This is a $120 value.

My scholarship is open for bloggers both national and international, as well as those who are thinking about starting a blog but are holding back because they think they have nothing to give the blogging world. I can promise you, if I’m a part of the blogging community and accepted, you will also. And you will be heard and welcomed in so many ways.

The rules go as follow (I’m blatantly stealing from Lenore):

You must be 18 or older (per BEA rules)
You’re not registered for BEA and BBC (no refunds allowed)
The winner must register on the BEA or BBC website and attend BBC on May 27, 2011 to pick up the prize money from me personally.

Fill out the form below with your name, email address, blog URL (if you have one) and your reason why you think you should receive the BBC Scholarship by Wednesday April 13th 11:59pm EST. The winner will be announced on Wednesday April 20th here.



Also, if you think you’ll be alone and no one will talk to you, get that idea out of your head. You’ll have at least one person who would love to meet you. That person would be me…and one adorable stuffed demon sheep.

Any questions, please email me at KatiebabsgATgmailDOTcom or leave one in the comments here.

Katiebabs

12 comments:

Pam said...

This is so awesome of you! I sponsored last year and I also went. It's a fantastic resource for new and old bloggers. We are a very accepting community!

Lusty Reader said...

wow, KB, what an absolutely amazing opportunity for you to offer. and i can PERSONALLY attest that Kate WILL make you feel welcome, i went to rwa09 knowing no blogger in real life, after only blogging for a few months, and only personally trading emails with one person - KATE! i was so nervous and not only did Kate let me know what she was wearing so i could keep an eye out for her, but the instant we met she introduced me to everyone and all my fears melted away after talking for only a few moments.

now that im remembering this i have to thank you again Kate!

Kim in Hawaii said...

Katie, this is one of the reasons I keep coming back to your blog - you are very giving and supportive of the reading community.

I'll have to attend Book Blogger Convention through your eyes as it is just too early (will not be back on the mainalnd 'til mid June). I look forward to seeing you again at RWA! Off to RT tomorrow!

Rhianna said...

You're a gem KB. Really. A presence in the blogging community who inspires, encourages and contributes so much already.

This is a lovely thing to do for someone looking to go but without means to do so. :)

Penelope said...

Good for you, Kate! What a nice idea. I wish I could go to this conference...have a great time. :^)

The Literary Lioness said...

Oh, I'd love to go to this conference. I love blogging about books.

By the way, love the kitties on the top of this post. Cats rule!

Ally said...

Aw Katie you have such a big heart! This is such a lovely thing to do :)

REN said...

Hi Katie,

This is so wonderful what you're doing. I can't attend this year so I'll have to wait for your posts :)

little alys said...

You really are too sweet, Kate. :)

The1stdaughter said...

Wow! You are incredible! I absolutely love this community and I think it's what keeps me going a lot of the time. Thank you so much for your generosity!

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

It blows my mind that there are such generous people in this world. Thank you so much for being a kind person in a cold world.

Jen said...

How incredibly generous!