Warning... some of the WTFckery posted here may make you go Grrr....
1. There are many out there that deserve the WTFckery award this week. Shall we start with HarperCollins? From Literary Sluts:
"It was announced that HarperCollins has put new restrictions on the eBooks it sells/licenses to libraries through Overdrive. I will link to the articles and blog posts at the end, but the long and short of it is that each eBook will only be able to be lent 26 times and then it will expire and the library or consortium will have to buy/license a new copy. HarperCollins came to the limit of 26 checkouts in part by considering the “the average lifespan of a print book, and wear and tear on circulating copies”.
Thanks HarperCollins for giving the big old finger to libraries and taking even more money to line your pockets. What's next? Taking back actually print copies and having libraries by them back from you after it's been taking out after a certain amount of times you feel is enough?
"The casting call for the Hunger Games came out recently. Did it ask for someone dark haired, or olive skinned? No. It did, however, specify Caucasian.
* 15 to 20 years old
* “underfed but strong” - WTF?!?
* “naturally pretty underneath her tomboyishness”
At the very least, Katniss's role should be open ethnicity. Barring talented PoC women from the role is inexcusable."
Nevermore goes on to say what does Suzanne Collins think of this since she is heavily involved in the movie? Also the part where they want and underfed actress is a true WTFckery IMO, let alone wanting a Causaian actress when the character of Katniss is described as the complete opposite.
Look at what happened with the movie The Last Airbender with the large amount of whitewashing there and it bombed. Take note Lionsgate.
3. And the WTFckery award of the year goes to Charlie Sheen. Thank Charlie for pissing off the guy who gave you a job and cancelled your show for this season, and most likely forever. Those 100 + people now out of work who didn't make close to $2 million and episode are going to do so much more than egg your house. From the NY Times:
"The two companies decided on Thursday to halt production of the hit CBS comedy “Two and a Half Men” after Mr. Sheen, the star of the show, unleashed a barrage of vituperative comments about the sitcom’s creator, Chuck Lorre.
The loss of next season’s episodes would mean forgoing about $250 million in revenue between Warner Brothers, which produces the show, and CBS. The actual shortfall would be much lower because the network would reduce its costs and would receive revenue from another show in its place.
But it would still hurt the bottom line. In halting work on one of television’s most successful programs, network executives were fully aware of the financial implications.
“We knew this was going to cost a ton of money,” one senior executive involved in the decisions said, adding, “tens of millions.”
Based on what the program was expected to take in from syndication sales of future episodes, Warner Brothers could fall short by about $100 million in revenue if the show never tapes another episode."
And Sheen wants to sell his memoirs based on what has happened for the low price of $10 million dollars. I really wond't be surprised if some publisher decides to publish his book and give him the 10 mil as well.
4. I can never get enough the the cover WTFckery out there...
"If the thought of mother's milk appeals to you, you can hotfoot it to the Icecreamists parlor in London's Covent Garden, which is selling the Baby Gaga bowl of icecream for £14 ($22). Each donor is being paid £15 ($24) for every ten ounces of milk extracted using breast pumps—which a mother friend of mine told me would take an hour to pump."
6. I'm not surprised by this because I've heard of people trying to shoplift chainsaws before by putting them down their pants. Is that a chainsaw in your pocket... From The Consumerist:
"An Oklahoma man allegedly chose a novel method: stuffing it down his shorts. The effect was not subtle. A store employee told reporters, "I seen the bar between his legs. It was pretty obvious. Imagine it in the front of your pants."
The perpetrator then left the chainsaw behind and dove headfirst into a nearby waterway, where he was apprehended and arrested."
7. Oh my, I may never think of Pinnocchio the same way again.
8. You know you want your own goggle umbrella. From Gizmodo: 2 umbrellas cost $44.
9. Placing your Gumby and Pokey doll and putting them in scandalous sexual positions is a WTFckery for some, but really funny, don't you think? I wonder if this can be the cover for my next book? I blame Carolyn Crane for my new disturbing obsession with Gumby.
10. You got to love You Tube for some vintage videos. This is from 1987 when former NFL player, Phil Simms tries to channel his inner Jane Fonda and create some LOL hilarious work out videos. That's some mustache Todd Christensen has. And don't get me started on the short shorts...
11. And your Regretsy WTFckery is a real mouthfull.
Enjoy this week's WTFckery!