DesignedbyLara.com

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Let's Restore Sanity Shall We?

These are 'hard times, not end times.'


Today is Election Day and I will do my part and vote in the mid-term elections. Over the week Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert held their duo rallies on the National Mall that had around 250,000 people attending.

I watch some of the live show on Comedy Central and really wanted to be there.

From the LA Times: Much of the "Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear," put on by "The Daily Show" host Jon Stewart and his Comedy Central colleague Stephen Colbert, resembled a large-scale variety show, with humorous sketches and surprise musical guests such as Kid Rock, Tony Bennett and Yusuf Islam, the former Cat Stevens.

But the three-hour event ended on a serious note when Stewart, in a break from his usual satiric stance, made an impassioned defense of American unity and denounced cable-news depictions of a country riven by animosity."

My favorite part of the rally wasn't the music, or the jokes but Jon Stewart's speech at the end.

You can read the full text of Jon's speech at here. A things Jon really hit home for me that were inspiring.

"...we work together to get things done every damn day!

The only place we don’t is here or on cable TV. But Americans don’t live here or on cable TV. Where we live our values and principles form the foundations that sustains us while we get things done, not the barriers that prevent us from getting things done. Most Americans don’t live their lives solely as Democrats, Republicans, liberals or conservatives. Americans live their lives more as people that are just a little bit late for something they have to do—often something that they do not want to do—but they do it--impossible things every day that are only made possible by the little reasonable compromises that we all make. "

and this: "Because we know instinctively as a people that if we are to get through the darkness and back into the light we have to work together. And the truth is, there will always be darkness.  And sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel isn’t the promised land. Sometimes it’s just New Jersey.  But we do it anyway, together."

"Sanity will always be and has always been in the eye of the beholder." Well said Jon, well said.

You can watch Jon's speech here:





Please go and vote, even if you are part of party of the, Rent Is Too Damn High party.

Did you go to the rally? How was your experience?

Katiebabs

6 comments:

Adriana said...

Thanks Katie - wish I could have been at the rally. I'll be off line the rest of today working for a local candidate - hope everyong gets out there and VOTES.

Monica Burns said...

I was planning to go the rally, but when Greg reminded me how I get panic attacks in crowds, I realized I couldn't go. But if I'd gone, I'd have toted a sign that would have read...
I am NOT a Democrat,
I am NOT a Republican,
I am NOT a TeaPartyer,
I am an American who believes in COMPROMISE.

Word Verification - How Appropriate! INDES

Shiloh Walker said...

" Most Americans don’t live their lives solely as Democrats, Republicans, liberals or conservatives. "

Powerful words...

I'm tired of the smear campaigns used by both sides and how ugly things get close to election time-it's like people forget the 'people' behind those labels-democrat, republican, whatever- are actually people...the people themselves forget they are actually people. This country wasn't always this ugly on politics and it's gone through times harder than this. There is no reason for some of the crap we see.

Yeah, I'm voting.

Tam said...

Happy voting day. I had a couple of friends who attended, they had lots of fun but people, oh yeah, people. Ack! Lots of funny signs though although I'm not sure most people could see or hear what was happening but I think the atmosphere was lots of fun.

I get a bit freaked out that it seems like Americans are wanting to go backwards. To times when women stayed barefoot and pregnant, when men were men and white middle class people ruled the roost. But I know that the squeaky whell gets the media coverage and that MOST American's don't want to go back in time to the "good old days" but it kind of worries me that so many actually do.

Kate said...

I have long been a member of The Rent Is Too Damn High party.

And I get what Jon Stewert said, I don't believe in labeling myself Republican or Democrat, because I don't believe 100% in either party's dogma. I think when we start to take on labels willingly, when we stop thinking for ourselves and allow a word to define us, that's when we lose what it means to be an American.

Wait... that's kind of a label too. :)

orannia said...

Happy voting day!

*scribbles note to self to watch Jon Stewart's speech tonight*