DesignedbyLara.com

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

WE DID IT! 500 Comments Later... It Gets Better


Around 1:30pm on Sunday, a little over 48 hours ago, I posted about my past as a survivor of bullying in light of the recent events with teens, especially with gay teens commiting suicide. Because of Dan Savage's It Gets Better mission, I decided to do one of my own.

My call to action was to have 500 people comment on my post, and people came out in droves.  Plus the amount of people who tweeted, posted on their own blogs, message boards and got the word out was outstanding. By the end of the week, my post will have been read by 10,000 people.

Knowing that one teen or even an adult who's feeling worthless and suicidal based on bullying has read your stories on how it got better for you, and has decided that it will get better for them, was well worth it.

Pat yourselves on the back, you all deserve it because you've proved that life does get better and there are kind, sweet and understanding people in this world who outweight those small-minded, heartless, and cruel people.

Thank you... it just got even better!

And if there is anyone who needs someone to listen to them, where you feel your life is hopeless and you have no one you think you can turn to, you can always email me at KatiebabsgATgmail.com. I've been there, and as I said it before, I'm living proof that IT DOES GET BETTER!

One song I love to listen to when I feel the need to be uplifted is Jonny Diaz's "A More Beautiful You". The lyrics really speak to me, and perhaps they will to you, as well.

There could never be a more beautiful you
Don't buy the lies disguises and hoops they make you jump through
You were made to fill a purpose that only you could do
So there could never be a more beautiful you

So turn around you're not too far
To back away be who you are
To change your path go another way
It's not too late you can be saved
If you feel depressed with past regrets
The shameful nights hope to forget
Can disappear they can all be washed away
By the one who's strong can right your wrongs
Can rid your fears dry all your tears
And change the way you look at this big world




Katiebabs

16 comments:

Kati said...

*waving pom-poms*

Go Kate! Thank you SO much for all you're doing to raise awareness about this issue and to support those who feel like it will never get better.

You're an inspiration!

jedisakora @ The Little Corner of the World said...

Ya!

Sarai said...

Yay!!! Thanks Katie for all you do!!

I absoultely love that song it really touches hone and means a lot.

Chris said...

Yay, KB! You made a difference. :)

Kris said...

Woot!

CindyS said...

Fantastic news - thanks to you and all those who joined in to donate!

CindyS

Twimom227 said...

THANK YOU! Thank you for making a difference! You rock!

Mrs. DeRaps said...

Amazing. Great work--both at raising awareness and a group of mobilized people.

RO said...

Kudos to you and for such a worthy cause. You're the best!!!

Christie (The Fiction Enthusiast) said...

Woo hoo! Thanks for supporting such a great cause! You rock!

Leanna Renee Hieber said...

Katie this is SO awesome!! I'm sorry I've been in and out of town so I missed the comment deadline but I want you to know you've inspired me to make a donation too, its an incredible and worthy cause and I give you mad kudos for bringing such attention to it on your blog. You rock.

Jess Haines said...

You are awesome, KB!! I'm so sorry I didn't get to come by sooner to say so. Very, very, VERY well done! And thank you for your generosity, too! You're setting a wonderful example, and I hope it's opened some eyes that it really does get better.

<3,
-J

ElaineG said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ElaineG said...

You are awesome Katie....truly. Thanks for helping to spread the word that it does indeed GET BETTER. I love the line "there could never be a more beautiful you"....it is so true. Jonny Diaz' song is amazing.

I always think of Christina Aguilera's Beautiful....." You are beautiful no matter what they say, words can't bring you down, you are beautiful in every single way, yes words can't bring you down"

Hopefully more kids that are suffering from bullying will realize that living their life in their way is the best way to prove words really can't bring you down.

orannia said...

YAH! Thank you KB for posting - you're..inspiring to say the least :)

susan said...

Thanks Katie for supporting this issue..it is really sad how our kids are dealing with bullying and so many other world issues. I can see where their world has stress already and they have not even gone out on their own yet. They need support from all of us. susan L.