DesignedbyLara.com

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Magic Under Glass "White Washing" Cover Update



It looks like Bloomsbury USA has listened to the public at large in regards to the controversy surrounding the cover for Jacyln Dolamore's Magic Under Glass.

From the Bloomsburykids.com website where Magic Under Glass is posted, has a new highlighted piece of information:

"Bloomsbury is ceasing to supply copies of the US edition of Magic Under Glass. The jacket design has caused offense and we apologize for our mistake. Copies of the book with a new jacket design will be available shortly."

Looks like talks of boycotting and the amount of blogs discussing the cover issue has made Bloomsbury USA stand up and take notice.

Now the one question still remains- Will Bloomsbury USA and other publishers be more aware of the covers they create in regards to books with a person of color or just wait until a reader notices another "false advertising" cover and fix it then because of the bad press?

To those who blogged, tweeted and discussed this, stand up and pat yourselves on the back. You deserve it.

Katiebabs

8 comments:

Michele Lee said...

I might have accepted the cover as a light skinned middle eastern character or light Hispanic, but not as a dark skinned character *shakes head* I'm glad they're changing it, but still not pleased with the author's reaction.

Heloise said...

I'm actually really impressed that they are willing to change these two covers. One would wish that they would stop making this mistake of course, but maybe I'm just jaded in my surprise that they responded at all. :)

orannia said...

I'm surprised (but pleasantly so) that the publisher has admitted the mistake and is taking steps to rectify it.

The question does remain whether they, and other publishers, will learn from the mistake and attempt to ensure that the covers more accurately reflect the content, particuarly with regard to character descriptions.

Thank you KB for keeping us updated :)

Tabitha said...

Yeah, I saw this. I think it's great that the cover is being changed, especially considering it's not cheap to do. They did it for Liar and now this book, so I'm hoping that the next situation that comes up will have a more accurate cover. I doubt they can afford to keep changing covers when the public notices the discrepancy. :)

Lisa and Laura said...

I've been following this as well and am really happy that Bloomsbury will release a more accurate cover. I think it's sad that they didn't get it right the first time!

Jill Sorenson said...

Although I thought the cover was vague, not offensive, maybe I was wrong! I'm glad to see the publisher respond in a positive way. Also, the power of bloggers continues to amaze me. WTG kb.

MissAttitude said...

Thank you for blogging about this KB. I'm glad a new cover is appearing with a POC and I appreciat the efforts of you and other bloggers on behalf of this important issue, although I wish Bloomsbury had spoken to the heart of the matter which is why does this keep happening? Why are they whitewashing covers, I want to see the stats!

I think all people in a way are activists and gatekeepers for right and wrong. You participate in wrong when you stand by and do nothing (example: the Holocaust, all the people who stood by and did nothing. Or Darfur, still not much attention about that). So I think that up to a point we bloggers should find an issue that's particularly important to us and draw attention to it. But I don't want to tell people what they should and shouldn't blog about it, blogs are personal. Hope that's not too contradictory or confusing. Just my opinion.

Katiebabs a.k.a KB said...

Thanks Miss Attitude. Hopefully Bloomsburg will finally realize that readers will not stand by and continue to let the misinterpretation of covers happen.

Again, it shows how far the on-line community and blogging can go to accomplish something great.