DesignedbyLara.com

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Phantom of the Opera Sequel Coming to Broadway!

I am a big, big fan of everything that is The Phantom of the Opera. The 1909 novel by Gaston Leroux is one of my all time favorite books, I have seen the original broadway show too many times to count and I absolutely love the movie with Gerard Butler.

So what if Gerard Butler phantom had a nice tan and was very muscular even though he lived down in the dank dark catacomes of the opera house?

If you are a fan of Phantom, like I am you may either be jumping for joy or shrieking in terror over this bit of news that has been posted on MSN.com:

Star composer Andrew Lloyd Webber has announced a long-awaited sequel to his massively successful "Phantom of the Opera," one of the world's best loved and longest running musicals.

"There's unfinished business," Webber told journalists assembled for a teaser — a new song featuring the titular Phantom, played by Ramin Karimloo, and his love interest Christine, played by American Sierra Boggess.

"I don't regard this as a sequel; it's a standalone piece," Webber said.

The new production will be called "Love Never Dies." It is due to open in London in March. The musical also will be staged in New York beginning November 2010 and will open in Australia in 2011.

The musical picks up a decade after the original's conclusion, and has the Phantom trading his customary hideout beneath the Paris opera house for Coney Island.

Webber said he wanted to produce a sequel because the original's ending, which sees Christine leave the brooding Phantom for his rival Raoul, was unsatisfactory.

"Christine goes off with this boring guy, the Phantom disappears," Webber said. He said he wanted to set the piece at Coney Island because, at its turn-of-the-century heyday, it was "the eighth wonder of the world."

Webber sketched out a broad outline of the plot, saying that the Phantom made his way to Coney Island after loosing Christine. The Phantom rises from one of the attractions at a freak show to control the entire complex, without ever losing his love for Christine.

To be honest, I am not sure what to think about this sequel. On one hand I don't want the Phantom to be with any other woman because of his undying, yes, sick obsessive love for Christine. But on the other I want him and Christine to go off into the sunset together even though the Phantom is the true villain of this piece.

What do you think? Are you excited for this sequel? Do you think the Phantom and Christine should be together? Will Love Never Dies end up being a dud?

I think this calls for some Gerard Butler Phantom... Music of the Night...





Katiebabs

12 comments:

orannia said...

I must confess that I had to Google Coney Island to see if it was where I thought it was.

As for the musical itself, I don't know... I think I'm a bit of a Doubting Thomas... I think you shouldn't mess with a good thing. After all, how many sequels are better than the original?

Katiebabs a.k.a KB said...

Webber was keeping very quite about who would be playing the Phantom in the sequel. I really though it was going to be Gerry. A part of me wishes he didn't make a sequel. I loved the way the show ended.

I can see some die hard Phantom fans not being too happy about this.

And Coney Island?? meh.

heidenkind said...

I also love the book--one of my favorite novels. And I enjoyed the movie even though Gerard Butler can't sing worth a damn (you know it's true). But this sequel sounds like a train wreck.

Shannon said...

But... the book doesn't have a happy ending.

This makes me irrationally angry. I love the show and the book. Don't mess with that.

(BTW, my students are watching the movie tomorrow with the sub.)

jmc said...

Not to knock Coney Island, but srsly? Have a hard time imagining the Parisian Phantom there.

Serena said...

He cannot be serious! Webber must be losing his mind. This sequel idea is just another attempt at resurrecting his flagging career and dwindling bank account.

I cannot believe he would sully the original.

The book by Leroux is a masterpiece and so is the original story. I say leave it alone.

MicheleKS said...

When I first read the news I scratched my head and went 'Hmm...?' because Coney Island was not a place I could see the Phantom in.

But I will say 'The Phantom of the Opera' is one of my all-time favorite musicals and I loved Gerard Butler as the Phantom (way too sexy for his own good).

Kailana said...

I had a hard enough time seeing the original, but it would be nice to see the sequel...

Have you ever read the book Phanton by Susan Kay? I LOVE that book!

Pissenlit said...

*horrified*

I'd heard he was thinking of doing a sequel but I was hoping nothing would come of it. :P

SonomaLass said...

Oh dear. My 16-year-old son saw Phantom on Broadway this summer, and he absolutely loved it. He is going to go nuts over this news. Thanks for the heads-up!

Katiebabs a.k.a KB said...

I wish Hollywood would make a new Phantom movie but go by the book like the silent version.

SonomaLass: Phantom was the first broadway show I saw when I was 17 and never forgot it.

Louise said...

As many of Musicals lovers I LOVE the Phantom of the Opera! It is my favourite ever... Last year I’ve been in NY & I tried to get my ticket …guess what everything was sold out that show how great the show is. Anyhow I end up getting it from a site through Casatickets.com. Next week I’m going to visit my sister and I just got some pretty good tix from the same place
http://www.casatickets.com/phantom-of-the-opera-tickets/
So I'll be analyzing as well as enjoying the show.