DesignedbyLara.com

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Need to Swoon: Scene from Jane Eyre (2006)

After reading the love letter that was sent to Mho Fho from a Miss J, (for those who don't know, that was in regards to the classic novel Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte) I decided to hop on over to You Tube to view some scenes from past Jane Eyre television airings.

The most famous one I know of is the 1983 version with Timothy Dalton as Rochester. That was the version I watched when I was in high school. After seeing that one, I didn't think another Jane Eyre movie could compete.

How wrong I was! I didn't know there was an updated version in 2006. This one stars Toby Stephens as Rochester and I must say his portrayal does put Dalton's to shame.

The reason I feel the need to swoon is over the 6 minute scene where Rochester begs Jane to go away with him and live in sin after she finds out about his crazy wife he has locked in the attic.

When I first read Rochester's declaration, I wanted Jane to run away with him! Seeing this very seductive and swoonworthy scene cements my opinion that if I were Jane, I would have gone away with Rochester to his island paradise and lived happily in sin with him.

Watch this video and tell me you feel the same way. Funny, I don't remember reading all those kisses in the book. And dare I admit it is almost as passionate and romantic as the train scene with Richard Armitage in North and South?




Katiebabs

15 comments:

Keira of LoveRomancePassion said...

Very yummy. I need to check this out from the library again pronto!

orannia said...

Hmmm....Keira that is a great idea. I have a long weekend this weekend (I've taken Thursday and Friday off :) ...I wonder if my library has it as I don't think I've ever seen a movie version of Jane Eyre before... I know, sacriledge!

orannia said...

OK...there's a musical version? Maybe it's me, but that just sounds wrong!

Mandi said...

I love this movie - and this version. LOVE it. The book too...

I don't know if I can decide between this and N&S..such an unfair question..LOL.

Soullumination said...

Excellent acting, writing & direction. Very emotional and evocative without losing the flavor of the book.

heidenkind said...

There's also a version with Ciaran Hinds as Rochester that's okay. I think I like the actress who plays Jane in this version the best.

I would have run away with Rochester, too. I guess Jane has higher moral standards than I do....

Janicu said...

Oh dude. Speaking of these super romantic period pieces, I just watched Firelight with Sophie Marceau. Holyyy crap yo. Have you seen that one?

Katiebabs a.k.a KB said...

Janicu: Never heard of it. As good as Jane Eyre?

Bridget Locke said...

Oh honey, you totally need to watch the whole thing. It'll break your heart, but it's so worth it. I love Ruth Wilson as Jane because she doesn't let what happened trample her spirits. She's quirky and funny and the sexual chemistry between the two of them is amazing. Plus, Toby is super deliciously yummy as Mr. Rochester. His voice is all gravelly sex. lol

Keira of LoveRomancePassion said...

orannia - a musical version? really? (o_O)

Angiegirl said...

Clearly I'm missing out not having seen this version. I just watched the Zeffirelli one a couple of days ago and I'm still in the mood. Will definitely check it out.

pattepoilue said...

Well this is the only version i've ever seen of Jane Eyre, and i studied the book in Highschool *cough*butneverfinishedit*cough*
I loved that adaptation, Rochester is way sexier than in the book though ;)
I was also begging Jane to go with him, *sigh* that's a great scene.
But it doesn't beat N&S train scene

Katiebabs a.k.a KB said...

I've actually seen the broadway musical of Jane Eyre about 10 years ago and it wasn't as bad I thought it would be.

The actor who played Rochester was amazing. Would give Jane long, lusty stares on stage. She was totally oblivious. Also I got to see it in the front row :D

pattepoilue said...

I can't imagine a musical of Jane Eyre, i guess i don't have enough imagination ;) But front row is always great!

Nat at RA FanBlog said...

Gaaah. I LOVE Toby Stephens as Rochester! 2006 is the best version of Jane Eyre in my opinion. :)
Those kissing scenes had me swooning, that's for sure... just like the train scene in N&S.
I just watched your youtube clip and nearly drooled. :)