DesignedbyLara.com

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Books Read for June 2009 and Cleaning Out the TBR Pile

Here are the books I read for June:

1. What Happens in London by Julia Quinn- A (Top 10)
2. Goddess of the Hunt by Tessa Dare- A- (Top 10)
3. Don’t Tempt Me by Loretta Chase- A- (Top 10)
4. The Tsar’s Dwarf by Peter Fogtodal- B+ (Top 20)
5. Branded by Fire by Nalini Singh- B+ (Top 20)

6. A Flash of Hex by Jes Battis- B+
7. Compromised by Kate Noble- B+
8. With a Twist by Deidre Martin- B
9. Breakpoint by Joann Ross- B
10. A Gypsy’s Vow- Bonnie Dee- B
11. Start Me Up by Victoria Dahl- B
12. My Wicked Marquess by Gaelen Foley- B
13. Double Play by Kill Shalvis- B-
14. Wickedly Ever After by Michelle Marcos- B-
15. Surrender to the Devil by Lorraine Heath- B-
16. Tempt Me At Twilight by Lisa Kleypas- B-
17. Loves Me, Loves Me Knot by Heidi Betts- C+
18. Kiss of the Phantom by Julie Leto- C+
19. Mastered By Love by Stephanie Laurens- C
20. Burning Alive by Shannon Butcher- C
21. Power of Love by Barbara Elsborg- C
22. For the Earl’s Pleasure by Anne Mallory- D
23. When Sparks Fly by Autumn Dawn- DNF
24. Doomsday Can Wait by Lori Handeland- DNF
25. Desire Untamed by Pamela Palmer- DNF
26. Street Magic by Caitlin Kittridge- DNF

Grades:
A = 3
B+ = 4
B thru B- = 9
C+ thru C- = 5
D and lower = 5

.
I must say I had a pretty active reading month!

Let's take a look at the good old TBR book shelves:
.


As you can see, I have done a bit of cleaning. Some books I know I won't be reading were put into boxes and donated to the Lupus Foundation of America. The great thing about the Lupus Foundation is that you can schedule pick ups where they will come to your house on a given day and haul away whatever you are donating. And they take almost everything. When all was said and done, I had two boxes full of books to give away.

Mho Fho has been busy reading. He has also started a reading group! Even his son, Mho Fho Jr. (the hippo on Mho's back) is also a part of the group.
.

.
This month's book discussion is one my my favorite Julia Quinn novels, Everything and the Moon.

Mho is head over heels in love with Meredith Duran! He couldn't stop raving about Bound By Your Touch and now he is busy reading Written on Your Skin. Everytime I try to take that book from him, he actually tries a bite me! The pervy sheep wants to snuggle up to Meredith at RWA Nationals. I may have to warn her...
.

.
And if you haven't read Bound By Your Touch yet, what are you waiting for? It is one of the most talked about romances this month and perhaps even this year. (Until Written on Your Skin is released.)
.
If he doesn't behave, I am leaving him behind and he is not coming with me to RWA Nationals in Washington D.C. I can't believe it is two weeks away!


Mho is now reading a top secret book that does not come out till the fall. What book you may ask? This book has not been listed in any of my monthly book lists. What I will say is that it blew my mind away and I consider it my number one favorite book for 2009. The author has skills that has me awestruck.
.
What I will give you in regards to this secret read, is on Friday I will have a post where I list my top picks for the half way mark for 2009. The books listed will all be my favorites of the year. This is one hard decision trying to choose which books will be in my personal top twenty for 2009. This mystery book will be on this list and it is up to you to try and figure out which one it is.
.
It is the KB Mystery Book Tour!

Katiebabs

22 comments:

SarahT said...

I keep hearing great things about Tessa Dare and I want to read 'Goddess of the Hunt'. Quinn & Chase arrived today, and V. Dahl is in the mail.

You've read the new Lisa Kleypas? Lucky you!

LorelieLong said...

The very same copy of Kleypas is sitting next to me at my desk right now. *rubs hands like Mr. Smithers*

But Katie I gots so much to do before Nationals, and you sent me such great books!

Gonna need more hours in the day.

Kwana said...

Very nice list. I love you updates. I'm excited about King Mho Fho's reading group. I think they will be THE book group to watch.

KMont said...

I'm going to harass you about that mystery book.

I'm really looking forward to Written on Your Skin, too. Also, I obviously need to get on it and read some Chase title. Any of them. Soon.

Jill Myles said...

You didn't include Bound By Your Touch in your book rankings! Why not? :)

Leontine said...

Wonderful list KB and I luuuurve a good mystery, I will keep my eye on you ;D

Katiebabs a.k.a KB said...

Jill: I read Bound by Your Touch back in March. It was in the list for my books read in March post:

http://kbgbabbles.blogspot.com/2009/03/books-read-for-march-2009-and-mhos.html

Ana said...

Please don't say it is Queen of Song and Souls. I may have to kill you.

Ana said...

OH. forget about it. I KNOW which book it is. I am pretty sure. like, 90% sure. It is one of my favorite authors too and a book I can not wait to read. *ninja out*

Katiebabs a.k.a KB said...

Perhaps my skills are that good that I have Queen of Song and Souls.
heh heh heh...

Larissa Ione said...

I always love pics of Mho. There are just not enough of them.

Must send you a demon duckie for reader group, though -- demon duckies are definitely under-represented in the group!

Want to know what book it is!!!!!

jennilovevirgo said...

Oh I wish my TBR shelves were that small! lol...I have 2 bookshelves that are seriously overflowing...and I keep getting in more (it's an addiction)...

Tracy said...

A mystery book? Really? Cool.

You read some great books this month. Not as many DNF's as usual. :)

Anonymous said...

So jealous of you and Lori for having already read the new Kleypas, can't read to read your review. Did you enjoy the parts of Leo and Miss Marks? I'm really looking forward to their story.

I can't wait to find out what your mystery book is!

Carol

lustyreader said...

I can barely believe that after reading romance for 12 years I only just found Gaelen Foley! I ordered My Wicked Marquess and can't wait to read it too!

orannia said...

Ohhh, a mystery book :) *puts thinking cap on*

Ohhhh, Mho - I think you may have to put in some serious spade work! No sucking up = no RWA Nationals which = no snuggling with Meredith Durran!

KB - you're reading the new LK book? *dissolves in puddle of jealous goo*

heidenkind said...

The mystery book comes out in the fall, do you say? Is it by a new writer?

Katiebabs a.k.a KB said...

The new Kleypas was a bit disappointing. I had some issues but the way things end, you will definitely want to read the next one.

Heidenkind: Mystery book is by an author who has been around for awhile and writes some of the best books I have ever read.

Barbara said...

Wow, Katie!! That's alotta reading! Go you!

LK got a B-, huh? Hmmm...

and Anne Mallory a D? I was eyeing that one.

Jackie (Literary Escapism) said...

The Purple Heart will come by and pick things up as well. I'm already planning a call to them soon.

So you like Tsar's Dwarf? Excellent. Peter is one of my guest bloggers for this month and I'm going to be reading his novel soon.

Katiebabs a.k.a KB said...

Barbara: The Mallory book falls under the WTF files. I will post about it this weekend.

Jackie: The Tsar's Daughter really touched me and Pete was really great to talk to.

Lauren said...

I have much envy over your reading list! June was a meh month for me with all the stuff going on taking up my reading time. A lot of those books are on my own list too.

Can't wait to hear about the mystery book!