DesignedbyLara.com

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Official Announcement about the Annual RWA Conference!

This is my official announcement. I will be attending the 29th Annual Romance Writers of America Conference in Washington D.C. from Wednesday July 15 to Saturday July 18.

What is this conference that I speak of?
Every year, writers and industry professionals come from all over the world to attend Romance Writers of America’s Annual Conference. The Annual Conference is a four-day event filled with educational workshops, career enhancement, and community involvement. At the conference, career-focused romance writers can anticipate:


- Education and information,
- Networking with fellow writers,
- Interaction with editors, agents, publishers, booksellers, and other romance publishing industry professionals. .

The conference will enhance your writing and knowledge of the ins and outs of publishing at more than 100 workshops; get the inside track at panels and round-tables featuring publishing professionals; schedule a one-on-one pitch meeting with an acquiring editor or literary agent; attend parties and network with the stars of romance fiction; and be a part of RWA's massive, 500-author strong "Readers for Life" charity book signing. And let's not forget the 2009 RITA and Golden Heart Awards.

Last year I went and had the time of my life. I was more of an observer then. This time around I am going as an aspiring author and to network. I want to get my name out there. And if I am brave enough, I may even pitch to an agent or two. *bites nails*

Keep in mind the whole conference experience can be a bit pricey. Unless you are really going to take advantage of everything there, I would recommend you not put out all the money. If you are going to just “hang out” just for fun, keep in mind what it is costing you to go:
If you are not a member of RWA you will be paying $500 for the conference. As a RWA member you will pay $425.
.
What Is Included in the Conference Registration Fee?
Admittance to all official RWA Conference events: the Literacy Autographing, Opening Session, workshops, Continental breakfasts, luncheons, and the Awards Ceremony and reception.

Hotel Rooms range from $210-$350 a night. It all depends if you are sharing a room with three other people and if any of them have RWA membership. If you have a membership the room is almost cut in half.

How you are getting to Washington D.C.? If you are driving, you only pay gas and tolls. Taking the train? Again you are paying for a round trip ticket to get there. By plane, well it all depends how far away you are. Plane fares have gown down, but when I went to RWA in San Francisco last year, it cost me $550.
.
Also keep in mind you need some extra cash on you for transportation around the city if you are going to leave the hotel to sight see or visit places other than the hotel. The Metro, which is the D.C. subway system, and the taxis also cost money. You need to eat of course, and even though you will be fed on Thursday and Friday at the luncheons as part of the conference package, you still need to eat breakfast or dinner. If you are smart you may be wined and dined by some publishers. You may also have the munchies such as a need for your morning caffeine fix or some afternoon delights. Also people like to hang out at the hotel bar and drink. The hotel bar can add up. A beer in D.C. costs about $5 a bottle. Mixed drinks rang from $8-$12. I like martinis. But because I am used to NYC prices, paying almost $10 for a drink doesn’t shock me.

So, in my estimation, considering how far you are traveling as well as other circumstances, you maybe spending anywhere from $1200- $2000 for only four days. This is a hefty price if you are just a fan who wants to pal around with authors and other industry types. But again, the conference is what you make of it.

It is a four day whirlwind where you are constantly on the go. I barely slept more than four hours a night. There are parties, author meet and greats and more books than you can ever imagine. I came home with almost 50 books last year.

RWA can be an author and book lover’s dream. It was mine and I hope my experience this July will be even better then last year.
.
If you are interested in knowing what my experience was like as a newbie attending last year, check out my reports:
.
Ramblings on Romance, etc.
Final thoughts

Any other questions you have that I may have not answered? And do I bring my demon sheep with me this time to cause some havoc? *heh heh*

10 comments:

Barbara said...

I loved the posts! The pics were great! You have me all excited now, lol! :D

Carolyn Jean said...

I will be going there vicariously through you, KB. You are going to have such a great time!!

Kati said...

*booty shakin'*

Woohoo! Can't wait to meet you and have a drink and trade the goss'!

Jessica said...

I hope you have another fab time, KB.

I wish there were a conference for readers and bloggers.

jmc said...

Once you are downtown, DC is a pretty walkable city. For the touristy things, at least. And there's the Circulator bus that goes between Union Station and Georgetown (no Metro there), if you want to check it out.

For others planning on attending, hotels in DC can be more scarce and expensive during the summer since the monuments and museums are popular for family summer vacations. There really is no "low season". I'd recommend booking sooner rather than later if possible.

I'm planning on attending, even though I'm not an aspiring writer...but I have to admit that the proximity to my hometown and paying only the registration and not for hotels is a big draw.

orannia said...

This time around I am going as an aspiring author and to network. I want to get my name out there. And if I am brave enough, I may even pitch to an agent or two. *bites nails*

*crossing fingers* GOOD LUCK!

azteclady said...

There is a slight chance of me going--at the very least I should be able to swing the public signing.

Here's wishing you the best of luck, Katiebabs!

AnimeJune said...

HEY! Maybe I'll get to me you there! I'm going, too, and it's going to be my very first RWA Nationals EVER. So excited.

Lauren Dane said...

Yay! I'll be there too. Can't wait to meet you in person.

Katiebabs a.k.a KB said...

I can't wait too meet all of you! It is so great to talk to people who "get me" and their eyes won't glaze over as I talk about books!